About Us | History of our home

Brown-Vandiviere House

History of Brown-Vandiviere House

341 E. Main Street
Canton, GA 30114

While the date of construction of the house is unknown, some of the older citizens of Canton report that the Brown-Vandiviere House is one of the three or four houses in the City which were not burned by the Union Soldiers led by General Sherman during the Civil War. The first reference to a house on the property is on a deed dated December 21, 1854 from W.P. Hammond to G.A. McIntyre. The deed refers to the property as the "house," lots and premises now occupied by W.P. Hammond. Later deeds refer to the property as being the "residence" or a place where a person "resides."

The house is known to many long-term residents of the city as the Vandiviere House due to lengthy ownership of the home by H.G. Vandiviere and his family. H.G. Vandiviere was a person of note both in the city and the state. The home, however, has been enjoyed by several prominent people throughout its history, dating back to James R. Brown, a state Senator and brother of Governor Brown.

1856 to 1874, the house was owned by James R. Brown, an Attorney in Canton and the brother of Joseph E. Brown, Governor of Georgia during the Civil War. James R. Brown served as a state Senator in 1871 through 1872 and 1873 through 1874. He also served as one of the first Superior Court Judges in the Blue Ridge Judicial Circuit, which included Cherokee County. His son, George R. Brown, was also an Attorney in Canton and had significant land holdings around Canton.

1874 to 1884, the house was owned by Warren R.D. Moss and his family. Mr. Moss served as the Assistant Marshall for the United States Census in 1860. He also served as the Justice in the Inferior Court from 1861 to 1862. He then served as the Ordinary of Cherokee County from 1866 to 1873.

1884 to 1925, the house was owned by several people, including D.E. Wiley, W.L. Coleman, J. Rudasill, and Samual R. Harben, who was a doctor in Canton.

1925 to 1928, the house was owned by Grady N. Coker, the son of the partner of Samual R. Harben. Grady N. Coker was also a doctor, and he and his father started the first hospital in Canton, the Coker Hospital.

1928 to 1984, the house was owned by H.G. Vandiviere and his family. H.G. Vandiviere served in the Georgia Legislature, both as a representative (1927) and as a Senator (1929-1931). He also served as the Solicitor General of the Blue Ridge Judicial Circuit and as a Superior Court Judge in the Blue Ridge Judicial Circuit.

1984-1998, the house was owned by Golden Care, Inc. and operated as a personal care home. The owners eventually declared bankruptcy, and the house stood empty for a period of time. The property fell into such disrepair that water ran down the interior walls of the house each time it rained.

In 1998 the house was purchased for law offices, including Dana M. Thompson, a relative of the original owner, and extensive renovations were made to the home, with care to preserve the historical character of the property. The law firm of Thompson, Meier & King, P.C. is now proud to call the Brown-Vandiviere House home.

In 2002 the house was awarded the highly coveted Cherokee County Historical Society Preservation Award. This prestigious award is presented to individuals or entities for outstanding preservation or rehabilitation of a historic building or site in Cherokee County.