- Modification of Child Support
- A Modification of Child Support is the only remedy available to change a child support award. There are a number of factors to be considered to determine if the child support should increase or decrease. The most common reason for a change in child support is due to a substantial change in either parent’s income. A Modification of Child Support action can be filed every two years. The Attorneys at Thompson, Meier & King, P.C. can help you navigate through this complicated process and ensure that what you are paying or receiving is appropriate.
- Modification of Parenting Time/ Modification of Visitation
- A Modification of Parenting Time/ Modification of Visitation can be filed to modify the amount of time that you are spending with your children. This type of action does not mean that primary custody is changed but instead requests that the non-custodial parent either have more or less time with the minor children. There are a number of factors to consider in filing this type of action. The Attorneys at Thompson, Meier & King, P.C. can assist you with either filing or defending a Modification of Parenting Time/ Modification of Visitation.
- Modification of Custody
- Either filing or defending a Modification of Custody action can be very stressful and complicated. Generally, the Petitioner must show that there has been a material change in circumstances that affects the well-being of the children. A small change will not suffice. This type of action can be very difficult and complicated and it is important to consult with a knowledgeable attorney to guide you through this process.
- Modification of Alimony
- Georgia law recognizes two types of alimony, lump sum and periodic alimony. Periodic alimony may be subject to modification. Alimony can potentially increase or decrease depending on the financial circumstances of the parties. If the parties are unable to agree to a change in alimony, then the parties will be forced to go to court and have the judge decide whether or not the alimony should be modified.
When situations have changed or the other parent is not honoring the order of the court, let the experienced divorce lawyers at Thompson, Meier & King help you fight for the rights of your children. Contact us at either of our Canton or Blue Ridge offices, providing family law services to all of North Georgia.